front row seat

About six months after we moved into this house we heard a gun shot from outside.  Then I heard two teen- age girl screams. Deciding to check it out, I found the girls standing in front of the window with their hands over their mouths , their eyes  wide as saucers. "Why did they do that.....How horrible......oh, I'm going to be sick....and it went on and on. It was then that I realized two things. One: that my girls were city girls and two: they had just shot two cows and were butchering them right in the field across from us and we had front row seats! Now were used to seeing this every fall, a fact of life, but , still hard to see our friends go. (I remember young James thinking it was pretty cool they left the head out for the birds)(of course that brought more, " icks, yucks and how afuls " from the girls. So, today was the day and as usual we had from row seats!

Comments

  1. oh ya front row alright!!I can see why that would bother the kids :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the circle of life, I supposed, but it's never pleasant...

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the world food supply all the talk these days, I'd say you are lucky to live where people still know how to do these things. It's too easy to forget that our food doesn't originate in shrink wrapped packages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I presume this is a mobile slaughter house. No stress for the animal, no miles on the road. I suppose it's the 'kindest' way of doing such things. Unpleasant for the girls, but a good lesson in food production. However, I think I'd draw the curtains.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

all is well

oh honey you shouldn't have